[ale] [Fwd: [Am-info] Red Hat proposes alternative to Microsoft

Byron A Jeff byron at cc.gatech.edu
Wed Nov 21 09:03:23 EST 2001

> A point that has not been brought up is whether the schools systems WANT
> the computers. Doing good for the kids is a great idea. I really like
> the RedHat proposal. But wait until the free stuff hits the school
> systems. It will be like the food rotting on the docks after it was sent
> to Ethiopia in the late 80's.

Very much so. BTW M$ is part of the problem administrativly. The machines are
so fragile, most teachers, administrators, and computer support services
folks fundamentally don't want the kids messing with them.

> I have encountered this personally with the Dekalb county school system.

My wife teaches in this system.

> I offered to provide several pc's to my daughters school which were on
> par with what they already had. I would include RedHat and install them
> and even volunteer to teach kids and teachers how to use them.=20
> 1.Most of the teachers didn't use the computers they already had.

Funny thing is that the teachers are required to take a CD based training
program.

> 2.Many of the teachers were afraid to use computers at all.
> 3.It wasn't part of the "systems plan" (?!?).

That's DCS overall administrative plan. It's gives the schools' Technology
Services person absolute control. No unauthorized software installation,
no unauthorized systems added to their setup, no networking modification.

But the short of it is micromanagement due to fear. By limiting the number
of options, and training the TS tech to those limited options, in their minds
it keeps the system "manageable"

> 4.No concept of "no fee for license" (who do we pay?).

Of course. It's a understandably foreign concept. Everything in life that is
"free" either has a hidden cost or is substandard.

> 5.The worst part is the use of computers for the worst part of
> education, repetative drill. This teaches the kids that the computers
> are boring.

On the other hand it's also used as a reward system. Kids can get on the
computers if they behave and do their work. So it's tugging in a couple of
different directions.

> They have a pile of edu-games (Broderbund, etc) that the kids are
> allowed to play with, time permitting. The school system is so
> micro-managed that the lesson plans must include how many minutes per
> week is spent on each subject. This leaves no time for exploration of
> new technology as part of a class.=20

I'm going to leave this one alone. It's just the tip of the iceberg and the
rest of it makes my blood boil...

Sorry to say it's one of those instances where change can only be made from
the top. Short of getting on the school board, little will change there.
Even then it'll be a tough tough battle.

BAJ