[ale] Consensus on best deal for a scsi DAT->10Gig ?

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at mediaone.net
Fri Nov 16 20:55:33 EST 2001

Courtney Thomas wrote:

>Greetings !
>
>Is scsi DAT the most cost competitive backup solution, considering media
>+ drive ?
>
>If not please enlighten me.
>
>If yes, where would you go to acquire such equipment [min: 10Gig]  ?
>
>Appreciatively,
>
>Courtney
>
>---
>This message has been sent through the ALE general discussion list.
>sent to listmaster at ale dot org.

I have a  Seagate Hornet SCSI tape drive that uses 10GB (20GB compressed
but I still can't figure out how to invoke hardware compression) Travan
TR-5 tapes.  The drive was in the ~$200 range (I don't recall exactly).
 The tapes are pretty expensive ($70-80?).  If you get something like
that, don't think you can buy smaller tapes to save money - they won't
work.  This drive can take smaller TR-4 tapes but read-only.  Go figure.

- Jeff