[ale] CD not seen for RH6.2 install on IBM 365XD laptop

hirsch at zapmedia.com hirsch at zapmedia.com
Fri Nov 16 03:58:45 EST 2001

John Mills writes:
 > I put a new HD into the laptop (no OS; unknown partitioning), booted from
 > the RH6.2 boot floppy, and starte the installation. I got as far as trying
 > to tell the installer where to find the installation and I haven't been
 > able to have the CD recognized.
 >
 > The notes I've found say (1) you must start from a boot diskette, as I
 > did, and (2) the CD looks like a 'generic' IDE drive. I expect the
 > selection for that is 'local hard drive', but then the CD isn't found.

I think the choice would be "cdrom" or "atapi cdrom".  I've never
heard of a CD that looks like a hard drive.  Was there a choice like
either of these?

 > Actually, no hard drives are found at all; the error message is something
 > like: "You don't seem to have any hard drives installed."

I wouldn't take that message seriously if it happens at this point.
It probably means that there is no linux partition found.

--
Michael D. Hirsch, Ph.D.

Phone: 678-420-2722                FAX: 678-420-5839
email: michael.hirsch at zapmedia.com Web: http://www.zapmedia.com