[ale] netbios names and dns?

sangell at nan.net sangell at nan.net
Thu Nov 15 14:09:39 EST 2001

Sure just use a Host file. In WinNT and Win2k it will be in the
Winnt\system32\drivers\etc directory for win9x just drop into the Windows
directory. Format is as follows:

199.244.217.127      beauty
x.x.x.x             another.server.com

Sames as hosts file for Linux. All of this is provided you are trying to
access from your intranet. With the hosts file you can use either computer
name (sophia) or FQDN. Either will work. Plus it will work in conjuction
with a DNS server that is providing info from say your ISP. The only
downside is that you must edit it manually.

Hope this helps.

\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
\_    Steve Angell,  MCSE, CCNA           _/
\_    MIS Operations Manager               _/
\_    TSYS Total Debt Management  _/
\_    Norcross, GA                                   _/
\_    Phone 770-409-5570                    _/
\_    Fax      770-416-1752                   _/

                    "Christopher
                    Bergeron"              To:     "Ale" <ale at ale.org>
                    <christopher at ber       cc:
                    geron.com>             Subject:     [ale] netbios names and dns?

                    11/15/2001 01:59
                    PM

Can anyone shed any light on how I can make windows machines use DNS
instead
of that netbios crap?!  Is that what WINS is?  I know I can do wins in
samba, but I'm not sure if this will solve my problem.

Here's the premise:

Windows machine named "sophia"
DHCP ip is given to it
DNS is given to it

I want to be able to VNC to the machine by it's DNS name(ie,
user123.domain.com) rather than "sophia".

does WINS do this?  I've been reading about this for quite a spell now, and
I believe I'm confusing myself.

and how will this affect "network neighborhood and browsing" (I +hate+
windows ugh!)

Thanks much in advance,
CB

be