[ale] samba mount

Vernard Martin vernard at cc.gatech.edu
Wed Nov 14 21:11:21 EST 2001

> yesterday i could mount (smbmount) a file on the nt box but not today.
> smbmount //<server>/<shared nt file> /home/httpd/html/<mount-point ro
>
> ?  this worked yesterday?

What error are you getting? Its hard to diagnose the problem given the info
above :) Given that, here goes...

The command looks correct. My first guess is that you must have changed
_something_. Might not be very obvious but things just stop working unless
something is wrong. Things I would check :
Did you recompile the kernel or modules? There is a kernel config option that
has to be selected for SMBFS to be supported by mount.

Did you boot a different kernel? could be that the kernel config option wasn't
compiled into the kernel that you are running now?

Has the IP address of the machine changed in DNS or your hosts file? Try using
the IP address instead of the name. Or try the fully qualified domain nmae
instead of just the plain server name.

Just a few shots in the dark...

Vernard Martin (vernard at cc.gatech.edu) http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~vernard/
        "Anything worth fighting over is worth fighting dirty over"