[ale] Dynamic DNS

Keith Hopkins hne at inetnow.net
Wed Nov 14 17:03:15 EST 2001

Leonard Thornton wrote:

> Here's the scenario.....I have dedicated internet connectivity at my
> office (T1 and DSL) with my own DNS servers, web servers, domain names,
> etc.  At home, I have a cable modem with the usual DHCP that changes my
> IP occassionally as well as my own personal domain name.  The OS
> environment is Linux (RH) top to bottom......
>
> I would like to be able to implement dynamic DNS between my home setup
> and my DNS servers in the office to handle my personal domain from home
> rather than co-locating it at my office (Basically, become my own
> DynDNS.org, so to speak).  Has anyone done this who would be willing to
> share the gory details?
>
> The difficult while you wait.....the impossible overnight.
>
> Leonard Thornton

Hi Leonard,

   Interesting project!  I don't have any direct experience on the server side of this (I actually use dyndns.org), but these links may give you a start...

BIND   http://www.isc.org/products/BIND/
DJBDNS http://cr.yp.to/djbdns.html
DENTS  http://sourceforge.net/projects/dents/
CUSTOM http://customdns.sourceforge.net/
SECURE http://sourceforge.net/projects/sdd/
PERL   http://sourceforge.net/projects/perldyndns/
iX TEC http://sourceforge.net/projects/dyndns/
TODD   http://www.ahv.cx/ (a.k.a. http://sourceforge.net/projects/todd/)

Other resources on how to put it all together (mostly for BIND)

http://www.dns.net/dnsrd/
http://www.technopagan.org/dynamic/
http://www.ddts.org/

   What is the driving force behind this project?  Is it to give your home pc a slice of your company's domain, for the learning experience, or are you trying to fulfill some other purpose?

Lost in Tokyo,
   Keith