[ale] problem with ftp

Joe Steele joe at madewell.com
Tue Nov 13 14:24:53 EST 2001

I'm familiar with the changes at Mindspring, but not with using
Konqueror or Kwrite for access, so I'm strictly guessing --

Since URLs use a % symbol to escape certain unsafe or reserved
characters, it might be that the same escape mechanism applies to
your usage.  Have you tried replacing the % character with '%25' (the
ASCII code for % is 25 hex)?  For example:
user1234%25yourwebsite.com

Of course, if you are actually using that in URL format, it would be:

ftp://user1234%25yourwebsite.com@ftp.business.earthlink.net/

If that doesn't do it, you could use tcpdump to capture the
communication to a file and then use strings to see what's going on
with the ftp authentication.

--Joe