[ale] HOWTO->run 2 monitors on 1 machine...........

Michael Kachline kachline at compgen.com
Tue Nov 13 12:39:49 EST 2001

On Tue, 13 Nov 2001, Courtney Thomas wrote:

> Good Morning !
>
> I just got a large graphics [only] IBM monitor that I want to use with
> an existing Redhat-6.x machine and have ordered a Matrox Millenium to do
> so.
<snip>

	Courtney,

	If I am not mistaken, RH 6.x comes shipped with XFree86 3.x which
does not support multihead. RH 7.1 comes shipped with both 3.x and 4.x, of
which 4.x *does* support multihead. You will, however, have to manually
re-link /etc/X11/bin/X to using "XFree86" instead of "XF86_SVGA", and then
use the "/etc/X11/XF86config-4" config file instead of the tried and true
"/etc/X11/XF86Config".

In any case. To get multihead running under X (4.0), do:

* Plug in video cards / monitors.

* Get your hands on XFree86 4.x. I've done this both via compile (on RH
6.2), and eventully by upgrading to RH 7.1.

* As root, run "XFree86 -configure", this will generate a new,
"XFree86.configure" file in root's home directory with all of your
hardware probed. Modify that as nessacery. I've only really needed to
tweak "simple" things like the resolution which I want to run on each
monitor.  Once tweaked, ensure that things work with "XFree86 -xf86config
/root/XFree86.configure". If you compiled X yourself, or actually have the
utility around, "xf86cfg" is a graphical way to configure a multihead X
box from scratch.

* Copy your newly created "XFree86.configure" file to the appropriate
place (depending on whether you're using RH 7.1's binaries, or your own),
and you should be on your way.

							- Mike
 Michael Kachline
 Systems Programmer