[ale] Trying to use minicom and get a console connection

Charles Shapiro cshapiro at numethods.com
Tue Nov 13 12:20:53 EST 2001

Hmm. So what happens, or doesn't happen? Sounds like your hardware is
OK. I'm assuming you get no response at all from minicom. Since you
included some information from minicom, I am also assuming that it does
run (e.g. you don't get messages like "cannot open..." and then a return
to the OS prompt).

Have you tried connecting to a modem or other DCE and seeing if you get
a response from that? This will tell you whether Linux and minicom are
seeing the serial port correctly. By default, minicom does some
configuration on the modem, and you should see that stuff happening when
you bring it up. Do you see random kvetching from the other side over
this? If I knew  what distro you were running, I might be able to give
you some advice on what start scripts need to be present. Even without
that, you could do an lsmod(8) and verify that the "serial" driver is
loaded.

I've successfully used minicom to connect to an ISP with a modem before
on debian.  My problems mostly came down to not having the serial ports
configured correctly with setserial(8) or not having the serial driver
loaded.

-- CHS