[ale] Accessing Windows Share

Matt Shade mshade at threekay.com
Mon Nov 12 02:00:27 EST 2001

Oh I agree! I work in phone tech support, and sometimes I'd just love to
tell people "Read the Fine Manual!" when at the same time I know they could
have found their answer on the web, if they'd only looked.

I'm not saying we need to forget about the folks who are just starting or
(sometimes just like me) are just braindead enough to not think of those
easy solutions. I just think that if there were some kind of visible link to
a starting place for docs or something, then maybe some percentage of the
"how do I stop a process" posts might be taken care of.

At the same time, Mark Hurley is right - "IMHO...FAQ's simply don't work.
People will not read a FAQ.  You have to keep them updated.  Can lead 'em to
the water, but not make anyone drink....etc..."

Hell, this is what newsgroups are for! Ask a question..SOMEONE will know the
answer! Have a problem..SOMEONE has the fix! One of the best things Al Gore
invented!

But I feel we can at least do something pro-actively....I'm sure it;s a
simple thing to add a footer to each posting that comes through ALE....just
need to come up with what that footer shows.

Actually, I think a good link would be to the search engine for this list. A
LOT of good info comes across this list. Whether a newbie uses it, or an old
dog doesn't matter. It's a good starting point.

Any comments?

matt shade
www.threekay.com