[ale] Accessing Windows Share

Mark Hurley debian4tux at telocity.com
Mon Nov 12 00:41:31 EST 2001

On Mon, Nov 12, 2001 at 12:23:23AM -0500, Arafat Mohamed wrote:
> Could someone please show me how to access a shared file on a windows
> machine? For the life of me can't figure that out.
>
> Thanks,
> Arafat Mohamed

Whew....a lot of information left out.

You are using Samba to access the share right?

If you mounted the windows share, you can easily access the file.

If you are having problems mounting the shared windows box...

The mount command internally uses (smbmount, you can refer to it's man
page for more in depth info).

Common usage for mounting a windows share:

mount -t smbfs -o username=tridge,password=foobar //fjall/test
/data/test

(that was suppose to be one line)

If you need to ensure you can "see" the shares, use:

smbclient

something like this:

smbclinet -L host -U username

enter password on prompt