[ale] FW: A side point of importance..yeah, you could say that - Greg

Greg runman at telocity.com
Fri Nov 9 01:32:55 EST 2001

	This comes from the OpenBSD list that I subscribe to.  It apparently seems
that IBM (yup,I was surprised also) and Microsoft among others are trying to
get the W3C to begin to making certain companies patented technologies a
standard.. and thus when someone uses that "standard" then they will have to
either pay a license fee (AFTER the money to develop has been spent) or
withdraw the product / application.  I have known that MS hovers around the
w3c so that they can be the "first" to implement technologies and that they
were on a campaign to make C# the "genuine W3C language" but I had no idea
it had gone this far.

	Can you imagine having to pay to use HTML or JavaScript... or face the
lawyers?  It is like the current bill winding through the Congress to have
the ISP's charge $ 0.05 for an email (seems the US Post Office lost several
billions to email last year).  And NO, it is NOT and urban legend this
time - sorry but I don't have the bill's number handy at home. <sigh>

Is there no end to the greed of Man ? Damm

Greg