[ale] $#@% bugged M$ web bashers!

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Thu Nov 8 15:38:47 EST 2001

Added a copyright notice and GPL license notice.

On Thu, 2001-11-08 at 13:31, Transam at cavu.com wrote:
> How 'bout putting in a copyright notice and a statement of terms of use
> so we can legally use it and/or distribute it (if that is your desire).
>
> Technically, under US Copyright law even without a copyright notice and
> in the absence of other words, there is a default copyright that prevents
> legal duplication or distribution.
>

> Bob Toxen
> transam at cavu.com                       [Bob's ALE Bulk email]
> bob at cavu.com                           [Please use for email to me]
> http://www.cavu.com
> http://www.realworldlinuxsecurity.com/ [My 5* book:"Real World Linux Security"]
> http://www.cavu.com/sunset.html        [Sunset Computer]
> Fly-By-Day Consulting, Inc.      "Don't go with a fly-by-night outfit!"
> Quality Linux & UNIX security and SysAdmin & software consulting since 1990.
>
> GPG Public key available at http://www.cavu.com/pubkey.txt (book at cavu.com)
> pub  1024D/E3A1C540 2000-06-21 Bob Toxen <book at cavu.com>
>      Key fingerprint = 30BA AA0A 31DD B68B 47C9  601E 96D3 533D E3A1 C540
> sub  2048g/03FFCCB9 2000-06-21

<jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>

#!/usr/bin/perl
# This is for extracting the Micro$oft boxes that have been compromised
# and blocking their access to the webserver for several weeks

######################################
#  Copyright Notice
#
#  This program, web-block.pl is
#  Copyright 2001
#  Local Net Solutions, LLC
#  4003 Allenwood Way
#  Tucker GA  30084
#
#  This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
#  it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
#  the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
#  (at your option) any later version.
#
#  This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
#  but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
#  MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
#  GNU General Public License for more details.
#
#  You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
#  along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software
#  Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA  02111-1307  USA
#
#  The full text of the license can be found online at http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.txt
######################################

######################################
#  Instructions for use
#
#  This program should be copied into a convenient location
#  such as /usr/local/sbin and the owner is root and the mode is 500.
#  As this sript will access an iptables firewall, it must have root priveledges.
#  Create a file /etc/hosts.web.deny. e.g. touch /etc/hosts.web.deny as root.
#  It can also be set to run on a cron job. e.g.
#  */20 * * * * /usr/local/sbin/web-block.pl
#  this will run every 20 minutes. It will only check the the most recent error_log
#
#  If it is run as <path>/web-block.pl all , it will check all the error_logs,
#  even the older, saved ones, up to error_log.4. This is for allowing aged IP's
#  to no longer be blocked.
#  It is a good idea to add this to the webserver log rotation process. On a RedHat 7.1
#  machine, edit /etc/logrotate.d/apache to look like:
#  /var/log/httpd/error_log {
#    missingok
#    postrotate
#        /bin/kill -HUP `cat /var/run/httpd.pid 2>/dev/null` 2> /dev/null || true
#        /root/web-block.pl all
#    endscript
#  }
#  Now it is pretty automatic.
#
#  To Do:
#  add a web-block.pl off argument flag
#  add an external file for exploit strings to search for.
#  be nicer on the firewall and only block the port 80 from the machines.
#  add an automailer to send complaints to the network mangers the offenders are on (yeah, right!).
#
######################################

use strict;

# the file with the data is
my $log = "/var/log/httpd/error_log";

# old log files add a .i i=1..4

# the place to store the output IP's to block
my $dropfile = "/etc/hosts.web.deny";

# strings to search for in the log file
my @strings = ("winnt", "cmd.exe", "root.exe");

# create a hash of the already blocked IP's

my ($key, %dropped, %filed, %block_these, %blocked, $in, @IN, $logfile, $j);

# Accept args to search all log files
my $log_depth = "0";
my $all = $ARGV[0];
#print "arg = $all\n";
if ($all =~ m/all/){$log_depth = "4"}

%filed = get_filed_hosts();

%block_these = get_hosts_to_block();

%dropped = iptables_firewall_check();

if ($log_depth == 4){
	foreach $key (keys %filed){ # removes old IP's from blacklist
		if ($block_these{$key} !~ "drop"){delete $filed{$key}}
	}
	write_drop_file();
}
else{ # Should handle a restart OK
	foreach $key (keys %filed){ # add all filed IP for blocking.
		if ($block_these{$key} !~ "drop"){$block_these{$key} = "drop"}
	}
	write_drop_file();
}

foreach $key (keys %dropped){
        delete $block_these{$key} #no duplicate filter rules
}

# Do the deed
foreach $key (keys %block_these){
	if ($key =~ m/\d+\.\d+\.\d+\.\d+/){
		`/sbin/iptables -I INPUT -s $key -j DROP`;
	}
}

#################################
##   Subroutines
#################################

sub get_filed_hosts{
	# create a hash of the already blocked IP's
	open (IN, "<$dropfile") || die "Failed to open $dropfile for read\n";
	@IN = <IN>;
	close IN;
	chomp(@IN);
	foreach $in (@IN) {
 	       $filed{$in}="filed";
	}
}

sub write_drop_file{
        my $key;
        open (OUT, ">$dropfile") || die "failed to open $dropfile for write\n";
        foreach $key ( keys %blocked ){
                if ($key =~ m/\d+\.\d+\.\d+\.\d+/){
                        print OUT "$key\n";
                }
        }
        close OUT;
}

sub get_hosts_to_block { # generate list of IP's to block from httpd log files
	# open logfile and stuff into an array for string searching
	my (@temp, $match, $i, %block_these);
	for ($j=0; $j<=$log_depth; $j++){
        	if ($j == 0){$logfile=$log}
        	else {$logfile = $log.".$j"}
		if ( -r $logfile){
			open (IN, "<$logfile") || die "failed to open $logfile for read\n";
			@IN=<IN>;
			chomp(@IN);
			close IN;
		}
		for ($i=0;$i<=$#strings;$i++){
			$match .= $strings[$i];
			if ($i != $#strings) {$match .= "|"}
		}
		foreach $in (@IN){
			if ($in =~ m/$match/){
				@temp = split( /\s/, $in);
				# $temp[8] has ip address pluss and extra "]" on the end.
				chop($temp['8']);
				$block_these{$temp['8']} = "drop";
			}
		}
	}
	return %block_these;
} #end sub host_block

sub iptables_firewall_check { #get list of IP's currently blocked
	my (@rules, %temp, @dropped, $IP);
	@rules = `/sbin/iptables -L INPUT -n | grep DROP | grep -v INPUT`;
	chomp(@rules);
	my (@temp);