[ale] Name resolution (nsswitch.conf)

Gene Matthews gene at mmc-inc.com
Wed Nov 7 11:53:14 EST 2001

Hi,

I'm running RH7.1 on my laptop and I can't get the name resolution to
act the way I want it to.

My nsswitch.conf:

passwd:         compat
group:          compat
shadow:         compat

hosts:          files [NOTFOUND=return] dns
networks:       nis [NOTFOUND=return] files
ethers:         nis [NOTFOUND=return] files
protocols:      nis [NOTFOUND=return] files
rpc:            nis [NOTFOUND=return] files
services:       nis [NOTFOUND=return] files

What I want is for /etc/hosts to be checked first, and then try whatever
  DNS server resolv.conf points to next.

I can't seem to resolve anything in the hosts file.

My /etc/hosts:

127.0.0.1
localhost

192.168.123.189
matthew

If I do an nslookup on matthew, it doesn't resolve.  I doesn't even
appear to look at the hosts file.

There is probably something stupid i am (or am not) doing.  I have done
a little searching out on Red Hat's site for any mention of a bug/fix
but haven't found one.

I'm a unix admin (at least I THINK I am!) and this should be a simple
problem to solve?!?!?

BTW, I have completely removed the nsswitch.conf file and still get the
same results; it ALWAYS checks the DNS server and not the hosts file.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Gene