[ale] AC 97 Sound

hirsch at zapmedia.com hirsch at zapmedia.com
Tue Nov 6 09:21:39 EST 2001

Christopher Fowler writes:
 > I am curious if anyone else with AC97 (onboard) sound believes it sucks?
 > Maybe I'm paranoid.  My subwoofer and speakers (MidLand) do not sound as
 > though I though they would.

My understanding is that AC97 is a standard interface to control the
sound chip and has nothing to do with sound quality.  You can have a
crappy sound chip with an AC97 "codec".  They call it a codec, but
they just mean that the controls are AC97 standard.  You can also have
a professional quality chip with an AC97 codec.

The sound quality depends entirely on the D-to-A converter.

--Michael