[ale] How solid is "solid db"

Keith Hopkins hne at inetnow.net
Mon Nov 5 16:38:57 EST 2001

Sergio Chaves wrote:

> Hi everybody!
>
> I am still on my quest for a GPL (or low-cost) database and I've seen a
> lot of Web content about a database named "S.O.L.I.D", from Finland, but
> can not find any valuable info on it.
> Tried several benchmark sites but none of it cited the Solid db in their
> comparison tests.
> Has anybody heard anything about it?
> Any info is welcomed.
>
> Thanks
>
> Sergio

Hi Sergio,

   The company I work for integrates Solid into one of the products we sell (and I do support for) to ISPs and other firms with big networks.  The sw runs on NT and HP-UX using Solid as a drop in replacement for Oracle, the latter being an upgrade "Option".  The (Java) program collects metrics on network traffic and corrolates/filters it and dumps it into the db for later reporting.  Pretty high volume stuff, but not very transaction oriented.
   Unfortunately, I haven't seen an example of it running under Linux.

Lost in Tokyo,
   Keith