[ale] huh ?...cannot use modules with GPLONLY symbols....

Joseph A Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 1 07:28:16 EST 2001

Joe Steele wrote:

> Briefly, module developers can now require that symbols exported by
> their code only be used by modules with a GPL compatible license.
> Also, modules are now given the ability to declare the type of
> license they use.

What's considered "GPL compatible"? Can I still use
modules with, say, a BSD or Artistic license? Are
symbols exported by the kernel proper marked
"GPL only"?

I predict this change is going to precipitate a major
FUD-storm among open-source foes, and probably
conflict within the open-source community...
It seems to me it now becomes harder for hardware
manufacturers to support Linux while feeling "safe"
about their investment in driver development. Not
good, IMO. But IANAL, and maybe I misunderstand
the point of this exercise.

Cheers,

-- Joe
# "You know how many remote castles there are along the
#  gorges? You can't MOVE for remote castles!" - Lu Tze re. Uberwald
# (Obsolete) Linux MM docs:
http://home.earthlink.net/~jknapka/linux-mm/vmoutline.html