[ale] huh ?...cannot use modules with GPLONLY symbols....

Joe Steele joe at madewell.com
Thu Nov 1 13:14:38 EST 2001

Presuming you are using modutils-2.4.10, then "man insmod" and search
for GPL.

Briefly, module developers can now require that symbols exported by
their code only be used by modules with a GPL compatible license.
Also, modules are now given the ability to declare the type of
license they use.

Any non-GPL module that attempts to use a GPL-restricted symbol will
result in an unresolved symbol error from insmod.  In addition, a
"hint" is printed:

"Note: modules without a GPL compatible license cannot use
GPLONLY_ symbols"

>From what I see, the kernel presently does not have any modules with

GPL-restricted symbols, so that unresolved symbol errors are not
likely to be GPL related.  Nonetheless, the hint is still printed if
the module does not declare itself GPL.

I suspect that there may still be kernel modules which have not yet
been correctly flagged as GPL, so that unresolved symbol errors
generate the hint even though it's unrelated to the real problem.

--Joe