[ale] TAR Problems

SAngell at nan.net SAngell at nan.net
Thu May 31 17:40:45 EDT 2001

Thanks for your response. I have tried that and when I do I get another message
saying

invalid compressed data--format violated

I have tried this on sever other versions of the same file and downloaded
multiple copies all to the same results.

I should have noted that I am running RH 7.1 (Seawolf)

Thanks again.

Steve Angell,  MCSE, CCNA
MIS Operations Manager
TSYS Total Debt Management
Phone 770-409-5570
Fax      770-416-1752

|--------+------------------------->
|        |          Leonard        |
|        |          Thornton       |
|        |          <Leonard at Inteli|
|        |          s-inc.net>     |
|        |                         |
|        |          05/31/01 05:52 |
|        |          PM             |
|        |                         |
|--------+------------------------->
  >--------------------------------------------------------|
  |       To:     SAngell                                  |
  |       cc:                                              |
  |       Subject:     Re: [ale] TAR Problems              |
  >--------------------------------------------------------|

I had this problem under Solaris a couple of times.  Try gzip first to
unzip it then tar.....

At 05:11 PM 5/31/2001 -0400, you wrote:

>I am trying to extract a tarball and am using the norm of tar zxvf on a tar.gz
>file. I have tried several different files but always end up with the same
>errors:
>
>gzip: stdin: Invalid compressed data--format violated
>tar: Child returned status 1
>tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
>
>Any help??
>

>Steve Angell,  MCSE, CCNA
>MIS Operations Manager
>TSYS Total Debt Management
>Phone 770-409-5570
>Fax      770-416-1752
>

>--
>body.

The difficult while you wait.....the impossible overnight.

Leonard Thornton
Intelis, Inc.
5960 Crooked Creek Rd
Suite 30
Norcross, GA  30092

Office: 770.825.0032
Fax:            770.825.0028
Cellular:       404.583.5402
Pager:          888.785.9188
Email:          Leonard at Intelis-Inc.net