[ale] Slow KDE 2

Irv irvm at ellijay.com
Wed May 23 17:49:31 EDT 2001

Hi.

I initiated a thread here a few weeks ago re: slow KDE 2. A similar thread
is on the Mandrake list now, with some possible clues as to what may be wrong.

If you have tried the latest Mandrake, RedHat, or whatever which
uses KDE 2.x,  and have experienced problems with slowness (or haven't),
I would appreciate some feedback on the following:

Does top report a process 'kapm-idled' taking up a huge portion of your
cpu cycles? Apparently it does in some cases, and not in others.
If we can show that there is a relationship between this process using
up cycles (on mine, it leaves 4% idle), and the slow response, maybe
there will be a way to fix it. It may be a problem only on certain boards.
As some people pointed out, 'kapm-idled' ducks out of the way when
you run some other program, but it may be that on some pc's, it takes
its own sweet time getting out of the way.

BTW: 'slowness' translates to 15 - 30 seconds to open kmail or the like,
not slow loading of something like Netscape - that's to be expected.

Post here or e-mail me privately.
--
Thanks,
Irv