[ale] "Linux-friendly" ISP???

John Mills jmmills at telocity.com
Tue May 22 16:18:11 EDT 2001

Hi -

On Tue, 22 May 2001, Christopher Bergeron wrote:

> Can you guys recommend a good "linux friendly" iSP?  I don't want to start a
> flame war, but I'd like some opinions.  I'm specificially interested in
> being able to SSH into my home machine, and I'd like a static IP.  I'd like
> to host a web server as well, but if not via isp, I can do that from work.
> I know that a lot of the access licenses prohibit "VPNS" which I'm assuming
> means I can't SSH into my home computer.  Any suggestions?

Telocity has ASDL service which gives you one static IP, and from which
you can offer services. You need to check their license against your
intended uses, naturally.

SSH logins are not a problem from their point of view. Mine works fine. I
only run console sessions, so I don't know how good an X-session you would
get. My employer's net access would probably be the bottleneck on
that, anyway: sometimes it 'hangs' several seconds every few keystrokes!

I had no startup charges, minimum service period, nor equipment fee. They
retain ownership of the modem and expect a _lot_ of $$'s if you don't
return it.

You'll have to see if they serve your address.

--
Regards -
 John Mills