[ale] Ramdisk Error on RH 7.1 Install

Jeff Hubbs Jhubbs at niit.com
Thu May 17 16:15:01 EDT 2001

> The kernel compiler is called kgcc. It is a gcc-2.95. The gcc
> is still the experimental 2.96 stuff of RH7.0 (in)fame(y).

> It would probably be best to do a forced downgrade to the gcc from 6.2

Okay...let me get this straight.

If I install RH 7.1, I have to DOWNGRADE gcc?  Would that be "rpm -U
--oldpackages egcs-1.1.2-xx.rpm" and "rpm -U --oldpackages
gcc-2.95.1-xx.rpm"?

After I do that, does that mean I can "make config;make;make install..." as
per usual to compile the kernel and I'll be OK?

Also, with all this compiler SNAFU, no one has addressed my more immediate
problem of "Error Loading Ramdisk."  Has anyone else seen this problem when
doing an FTP install of a recent RH?

- Jeff