[ale] Ramdisk Error on RH 7.1 Install

Stuffed Crust pizza at shaftnet.org
Thu May 17 12:49:36 EDT 2001

On Thu, May 17, 2001 at 11:24:59AM -0400, Charles Marcus wrote:
> Or are you, I HOPE, getting this backwards?  They definitely DID release 7.0
> with a broken version of GCC, and this was a major issue.  I cannot believe
> that they did it again!

For the umpteenth time, GCC 2.96 (aka GCC 3.0pre) is NOT broken.  It is
no worse than egcs-1.1.2, It is no worse than GCC 2.95.x; and it is in
many ways LESS buggy.

However, the Linux kernel is only guaranteed to compile correctly with
egcs-1.1.2 and gcc-2.95.1 That's because the Linux kernel uses all sorts
of nonstandard extensions and hacks.

It wasn't until fairly recently (2.2.18, IIRC) that 2.95 would work!
Did that mean 2.95 was broken?  No, because the problems lie with the
source code.

>From the Kernel Changes file:

The recommended compiler for the kernel is egcs 1.1.2 (gcc 2.91.66), and
it should be used when you need absolute stability. You may use gcc
2.95.x instead if you wish, although it may cause problems. Later
versions of gcc have not received much testing for Linux kernel
compilation, and there are almost certainly bugs (mainly, but not
exclusively, in the kernel) that will need to be fixed in order to use
these compilers. In any case, using pgcc instead of egcs or plain gcc is
just asking for trouble.

Note that gcc 2.7.2.3 is no longer a supported kernel compiler. The
kernel no longer works around bugs in gcc 2.7.2.3 and, in fact, will
refuse to be compiled with it.

In addition, please pay attention to compiler optimization.  Anything
greater than -O2 may not be wise.  Similarly, if you choose to use
gcc-2.95.x or derivatives, be sure not to use -fstrict-aliasing (which,
depending on your version of gcc 2.95.x, may necessitate using
-fno-strict-aliasing).

****

Anyhow!

 - Pizza
--
Solomon Peachy                                    pizzaATfucktheusers.org
I ain't broke, but I'm badly bent.                           ICQ# 1318344