[ale] Adding additional space

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Mon May 14 14:25:58 EDT 2001

Jason Lynn wrote:

> Sorry, I know this is probably a stupid question but I couldn't find a
> howto on this one.  :)  I've never changed any partition settings
> after initial installation.
>
> I'm considering adding another hard drive to my system, and I wanted
> its mount point to be /home.  Yet, /home is already mounted by the
> root partition.  Is this going to cause any problems if I mount
> /dev/hdb /home?  I'm assuming it will since it's already mounted.
> Will I need to tar up all the directories in there currently and save
> them?

1. Add your new drive and mount it as something else (/newdrive).
2. copy /home to /newdrive
3. change /etc/fstab to reflect that your new drive should be mounted on
/home
4. also change /etc/fstab to reflect that your old home file system is
no longer mounted.
5. reboot

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

The
hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his
intelligence."
- Albert Einstein