[ale] mediaOne modem

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Wed May 9 20:04:45 EDT 2001

--- Randal Jarrett <rsj at radio.org> wrote:
> So, if you don't mind waiting times on hold that are
> measured in hours for both customer support and billing,
> and can put up with installers that don't know what they
> are doing or are supposed to be doing, then give them a try.

I couldn't have said it better myself.  As a former MediaOne
contractor, and a very vocal advocate, my experiences have become
nightmares since AT&T has taken over.

To give you an idea of what their service is like, I wrote a batch file
and ran it on a NT machine dedicated to my cable modem (no Linksys
router involved)  The log file shows the service coming in and out over
a 8 hour period a few weeks ago.  Note the service *still* does this.
The IP address that is being pinged is the "next-hop" from my cable
modem, the headend.

Five different M1/AT&T service techs have been scheduled to visit, NONE
made it here.  Another one is due tomorrow AM.  I have found that to
get AT&T to wakeup, I have to call RoadRunner.  The RoadRunner NOC can
be reached at: 1-877-777-2263

My log file is available at http://jimpop.net/m1-test.log