[ale] postfix and fetchmail

Joe Steele joe at madewell.com
Tue May 8 11:59:24 EDT 2001

This sounds like a problem that might have been caused by
fetchmail.  I could envision such a problem occurring if
your .fetchmailrc file specified:

poll example.com
user USERID at AUTHSERVER
pass xyz

Fetchmail would retrieve the mail and pass it on to your
local SMTP server, addressed to USERID at AUTHSERVER.

What might be missing is a 'to' statement (or various
syntactic equivalents) in your rc file:

poll example.com
user USERID at AUTHSERVER
pass xyz
to USERID

Now fetchmail passes the retrieved mail on to your local
SMTP server, addressed to USERID, which is taken to be a
local user.

This is just a guess.  Seeing your .fetchmailrc might help.

Of course, even if this was the cause, it doesn't help you
with delivery of the mail which has already been deferred.
(I have no experience with postfix.)

--Joe