[ale] QuantumFireball disk woes

Pete Hardie pete.hardie at dvsg.sciatl.com
Mon May 7 10:39:15 EDT 2001

Hello all,

I decided to make the jump to RH 7.1 about 3 weeks ago, so I orderd from
CheapBytes
and also decided to get a bigger disk.  I settled on a low-end Quantum Fireball
20G
disk.  When I try to run anything formatting-ish on it, it seems to get stuck
somewhere
about 10G in.  Running badblocks will truck along just fine until then, and
suddenly
slows down to a crawl (1 block processed every 60-90 seconds).  I'm thinking
about returning the disk, but wanted to check with the community to see if there
is
something I'm missing that might be a quick fix.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

--
Pete Hardie                   |   Goalie, DVSG Dart Team
Scientific Atlanta            |