[ale] Why

Dan Newcombe Newcombe at mordor.clayton.edu
Thu May 3 18:15:10 EDT 2001

On Thu, 3 May 2001, Jeff Hubbs wrote:
> But, Dan, that doesn't make a whole lot of sense, does it?  If I didn't put
> X on my machine, why wouldn't I expect "make xconfig" to fail and fail
> miserably??  If I left off ncurses, should I expect "make menuconfig" to
> work?

I agree 100%.  However, RedHat is aiming towards making life simple for
the people who may not think logically sometimes.  In otherwords, they
don't want tech support calls because make xconfig wouldn't work because
someone decided to outsmart the installer.

I wish the install tool would show you what packages had what dependencies
and let you choose on a package by package basis what dependencies to
fulfill or ignore - sorta like dselect does - just with a decent interface
:)

	-Dan