[ale] Why

Bao Ha baoha at sensoria.com
Thu May 3 16:24:28 EDT 2001

believe Debian will allow you to install without X.
<SPAN
class=535072220-03052001>
On
certain headless systems, I need X so I can run vncserver.  I have not
figured out how
<SPAN
class=535072220-03052001>to minimize X yet.
<SPAN
class=535072220-03052001>
<SPAN
class=535072220-03052001>Bao

  <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: owner-ale at ale.org
  [mailto:owner-ale at ale.org]On Behalf Of Jeff HubbsSent:
  Thursday, May 03, 2001 12:46 PMTo: Chris Fowler;
  'ale at ale.org'Subject: RE: [ale] Why
  <FONT color=#0000ff face=Arial
  size=2>That's a real good question.  I just recently tried to set up an
  X-less disk-limited machine for bind/dhcpd under RH6.2 and it was pulling the
  same kind of stunts.
  <FONT color=#0000ff face=Arial
  size=2>
  Out
  of curiosity, I renamed a directory that held a lot of X stuff (somewhere
  under /usr, I think) to see if it affected anything and yes, things broke, so
  I renamed it back.
  <FONT color=#0000ff face=Arial
  size=2>
  really wish distros were more straightforward w.r.t. setup options than just
  giving you "server," "workstation," and "custom."  Distros are
  complex enough that if you select "custom," you don't get a good
  feel for even what the provided starting point gets you (at least I don't, but
  I don't think I'm unusually clueless).
  <FONT color=#0000ff face=Arial
  size=2>
  -
  Jeff
  <BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr
  style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">
    <FONT face=Tahoma
    size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Chris Fowler
    [mailto:ChrisF at computone.com]Sent: Thursday, May 03, 2001 3:43
    PMTo: 'ale at ale.org'Subject: [ale]
    Why
    Why when I load RH 7.1 and say no X widows, does netscape
    get loaded. Why when I say no X windows, Does it try
    to configure my video card for X?