[ale] kapm-idle Mandrake 8

Stuffed Crust pizza at shaftnet.org
Thu May 3 14:47:36 EDT 2001

On Thu, May 03, 2001 at 11:28:23AM -0600, Cade Thacker wrote:
> can somebody please tell me what and how to get rid of a process called
> kapm-idle.  When I top my system, it is using like 47% of my cpu. I am
> going to go and try to find some info on the web but just thought maybe
> somebody else had maybe dealt with this already. Thanks.

0)  Top makes a lousy benchmark.

All of the 'k*' processes (keventd, kidled, kswapd, etc) are actually
kernel threads.

If you'd pay attention to your system load, you'd see that kapm-idle
only "consumes" CPU time when the system is... well, idle.  And it takes
a couple of seconds to kick in too.

It's there if you compiled your kernel with APM support.  It sends CPU
IDLE commands to your processor, which keeps everything running cooler
and can also activate power-saving modes depending on your system.

Don't trust me?  despite top saying that ~50% of my CPU time is used by
kapm-idle, I have a load average of 0.01.

 - Pizza
--
Solomon Peachy                                    pizzaATfucktheusers.org
I ain't broke, but I'm badly bent.                           ICQ# 1318344