[ale] Initial ramdisk load failuse using Loadlin

Jeff Hubbs Jhubbs at niit.com
Thu Mar 29 16:37:14 EST 2001

Byron -

I may something for you.  I just recently had a similar problem and it
appeared to have been due to the infamous buggy PCI EIDE controllers.
There's a pretty good treatise on the problem at
http://mindprod.com/eideflaw.html.  It lists Compaq Presarios (no specific
model information) as having the bad CMD640.

The basic story is that the CMD640 and RZ-1000 PCI EIDE controllers are
hosed.  I have an AT&T Globalyst 600 from Microseconds ($20 sans RAM and HD)
that has the bad RZ-1000 and I couldn't get the machine to even install
Linux without barfing until I disabled it (HD on an Initio SCSI controller,
CD on the secondary IDE controller).

- Jeff