[ale] Abit-BP6 board half dead

Stuffed Crust pizza at shaftnet.org
Sat Mar 24 10:16:37 EST 2001

On Fri, Mar 23, 2001 at 06:41:03PM -0500, Benjamin Scherrey wrote:
> I've got a nice little box with a BP-6 motherboard running two 500MHz
> Celerons - until earlier this week when one of the cpu sockets dies taking
> its cpu with it. I'm still half way running but response times bite without
> two cpus. Now I find that BP6's aren't the easiest things to find but a new
> board the VP6 is. Unfortunately, the VP6 docs don't mention the Celeron
> explicitly which leads me to believe it won't work for me. Can anyone make
> any recommendations about how to proceed? I definitely want to end up with at
> least a dual 500MHz CPU machine and price is extremely the issue right now
> cause my expenses have recently been mocking my income.

The VP6 is indeed the successor to the BP6 -- but there's one catch.

Intel, in its infinite wisdom, changed the pinouts for its newer FCPGA
Socket370 chips.  This includes the newer celerons and P3 CPUs.

Basically. you won't be able to use your old celeron in a newer
socket370 motherboard.

I love my BP6 -- Intel hasn't realeased a solid chipset since the 440BX.
Unfortunately, my CPU upgrade options from here are very limited.  I
don't plan to get anything new until AMD gets the damn 760MP chipset out
there..

 - Pizza
--
Solomon Peachy                                    pizzaATfucktheusers.org
I ain't broke, but I'm badly bent.                           ICQ# 1318344