[ale] editor with auto-ftp?

Fletch fletch at phydeaux.org
Thu Mar 22 10:33:13 EST 2001

    hirsch> John Wells writes:
    >> When I have to program on Win NT I use an editor called
    >> UltraEdit.  The most appealing feature of this editor is that
    >> it provides auto-ftp capabilites (i.e., you can click a button
    >> to open a file on a remote server, edit it locally, and then
    >> click save to save it back to the server).
    >>
    >> I'm looking for an editor with equivalent capabilities on linux
    >> (would make the change to an existing editor myself, but in the
    >> interest of time would like to find an existing one).  If you
    >> know of one, please let me know.

    hirsch> That would be emacs, of course.

    hirsch>      C-x C-f root at ftp.xxx.com:/etc/passwd

    hirsch> will prompt for the password.  You can set it up to
    hirsch> default to anonymous if no user is specified, or to your
    hirsch> uid.

        Actually even better than ange-ftp, try tramp:

http://ls6-www.informatik.uni-dortmund.de/~grossjoh/emacs/tramp.html

        It'll do everything that ange-ftp can do, but it'll work over
ssh and scp as well.

770 933-0600 x211(w)  |  scary questions." -- Jules                =(___)=