[ale] LPRng

Glenn C. Lasher Jr. glasher at nycap.rr.com
Wed Mar 21 20:34:07 EST 2001

...stands for Line PRinter-daemon No Good?

That's the opinion I am getting at this point.  I have spent the last hour
or so beating on it and screaming at the top of my lungs at it.  No doubt
my neighbours think I am nuts.

My network is trusted, I therefore requrie none of the authentication CRAP
affiliated with this piece of junk.

lpd.perms reads:

DEFAULT ACCEPT
ACCEPT

...this seems the simplest POSSIBLE configuration.  Allow by default, then
allow everything, right?

Local printing fine.  Remote?  Forget it!

The one and only printer on this box (hermes) is lp0; it is a Canon
BJC4200.  It works fine from hermes.

On lolly, there is a printer defined as 'colour' which points to host
hermes, queue lp0.

On lolly, I do:

lpr -Pcolour netscape.ps

On hermes, I do:

lpq

I see:

Printer: lp at hermes
 Queue: 1 printable job
 Server: pid 4794 active
 Unspooler: pid 4807 active
 Rank   Owner/ID                  Class Job Files                 Size
Time
active mariah at lolly+13              A    13 netscape.ps         373256
20:31:45

WHY?!?

WHY, WHY, WHY, WHY, WHY?!?

The LPRng web page has given me zero.

A search of Red Hat's site has given me zero.

I've f^<<|n9 had it.

glasher at nycap.rr.com
After 163 days, Verizon still couln't deliver Telocity DSL.