[ale] --MARK--

Ben Coleman oloryn at benshome.net
Wed Mar 21 19:08:54 EST 2001

3/21/2001 1:15:20 PM, David Corbin <dcorbin at imperitek.com> wrote:

>Ben Coleman wrote:
>>
>> David Corbin wrote:
>> >
>> > What process/daemon puts this (utterly useless) message in the syslog?
>>
>> I believe syslog itself does that.
<snip!>

>Ok.. Thanks.  Now can you tell me why it does that?

I believe it's intended as a means of showing continued continued system operation, and pinning down the time of failure if the system
should fail.  I believe the --MARK-- entry only shows up if there has been no other syslog activity during the mark interval (which defaults to
20 minutes).  On a machine that doesn't have much syslog activity, this narrows down the time of failure discernable from the system logs
should the machine crash.  Probably not of much use for a production system, but it might be of some use on a machine running an
unstable kernel.

Ben