[ale] telnetd dying

Chris Fowler ChrisF at computone.com
Mon Mar 19 08:53:04 EST 2001

I have copied telnetd to a "embedded" system.  Not really embedded but very small and somewhat robust.  I have specified it in inetd as the following:

telnet  stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/telnetd       /usr/sbin/telnetd

When I try to connect It seems to hang and I receive no login prompt.  On inspection of the log files, I notice that inetd tries to execute telnetd with telnetd terminates with exit code of 0x1?  Is there a way I can debug this?  ldd reports that all libraries are existent on the fs but  I believe if I use strace, I can find the problem.

Thanks,
Chris