[ale] The Perl CD Bbookshelf

Ben Coleman oloryn at benshome.net
Sat Mar 17 14:12:58 EST 2001

On Fri, 16 Mar 2001 08:16:33 -0500, Wandered Inn wrote:

>To start off, I'd say 'Progamming Perl' is the place to start.

Not for everybody.  'Programming Perl' is essentially a reference.  Not
everyone can learn a language straight from the reference.  I'll agree
that if you're learning Perl you want PP, but for most people a
tutorial or introductory  book is also needed.

>> Programming Perl, 2nd Edition;
>
>A must have for anyone learning/writing/using perl.  Great book.

Unfortunately, this is a little out of date, as the 3rd Edition is out,
with some rather extensive editing.  The 2nd Edition covers Perl 5.003,
the 3rd Edition covers Perl 5.6.  This will cover a lot of what you'll
use, whether you're using 5.005 or 5.6 (some people don't think 5.6 is
fully 'ready for prime time'.  Those people typically use 5.005), but
there are some new things that won't be covered by Camel 2.

>> Perl Cookbook;
>
>Another excellent book, a must have.

>> Advanced Perl Programming;
>
>YAEB (Yet Another Excellent Book), a must have

Agreed on those two.
>> Learning Perl;
>
>I don't have it but would seem redundant with 'Programming Perl.'

Not really.  LP is good intro to Perl if you've done some programming
already.  Those who aren't already programmers are probably better off
with 'Beginning Perl' or 'Elements of Programming with Perl'.
Professional programmers wanting to learn Perl will probably want to
get 'Perl: the Programmer's Companion' (indeed Tom Christiansen
describes this as a LP for the experienced programmer).

>>They're
>> selling it for $54, Fatbrain has it for 48,  B&N also has it for 48 (I'd
>> probably check locally to see if anyone has it, otherwise order from >>Fatbrain).

I'd normally tell you to check BookPool also, but they don't appear to
carry this.

Ben

--
Ben Coleman oloryn at benshome.net      | The attempt to legislatively