[ale] The Perl CD Bbookshelf

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Fri Mar 16 08:16:33 EST 2001

To start off, I'd say 'Progamming Perl' is the place to start.  I don't
know that you need everything in this set.  If you're going to get a
set, I'd recommend the Perl Resource Kit over the one below, although
it's more pricey and you'd still probably want to purchase some of the
books you listed below.

Perry wrote:

> I want to start learning Perl so hit up the archives.  Someone mentioned
> Learning Perl last month so I hopped over to Amazon and just searched for
> Perl to see what popped up..  Clicked on Learning Perl to see how much they
> wanted and what the reviewers had to say.  Then I noticed a link to the
> Perl CD Bookshelf.  6 books on CD and the dead tree version of Perl in a
> Nutshell.
>
> "The Perl CD Bookshelf contains a powerhouse of O'Reilly Animal Guides.
> Included are complete, unabridged versions of

> Perl in a Nutshell;

Don't have, can't comment.

> Programming Perl, 2nd Edition;

A must have for anyone learning/writing/using perl.  Great book.

> Perl Cookbook;

Another excellent book, a must have.

> Advanced Perl Programming;

YAEB (Yet Another Excellent Book), a must have

> Learning Perl;

I don't have it but would seem redundant with 'Programming Perl.'

> and Learning Perl on Win32 Systems.... "

Useful if you're doing perl on Win32, but it can lead you astray if you
intend on writing Perl code that is portable across OSs.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

The
hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his
intelligence."
- Albert Einstein