[ale] Linux and Mac

Alan Bowman aminus at mindspring.com
Mon Mar 12 21:54:39 EST 2001

On Sun, 11 Mar 2001, Clayton Aucoin wrote:

>>I recently got a Mac Performa 6360 as a tinker computer from my
>>friend.  I want to put Linux on it and decided to use Yellow Dog.
>>I downloaded their Champian server 1.2.1 and tried to install it
>>onto the Mac, but can't.  Since I don't have a new generation CD
>>bay, then i have to use bootx.  When I tried to copy the files
>>neccessary for this, the computer gave me an error message.  It waid
>>it was a "type -39" error.  I couldn't find the definition of this
>>anywhere in the documentation.  Can anyone help me with this
>>problem?  Thanks.
>>
>>Clayton Aucoin

>From the Yellow Dog website:

 What hardware will simply NOT work with Yellow Dog Linux?
        - Power Macintosh 6100, 7100, 8100
        - WGS 6150, 8150, 9150
        - The PowerBook 1400, 2300, and 5300
        - Any Performa 52xx, 53xx, 61xx, 62xx, and 63xx.
        - The 6360 is the only exception --it will boot the Linux kernel

If I remember correctly, this is because all these macs are NuBus
systems, not PCI bus.  Also, if I remember correctly, the 4 digit
Performa's were PowerPC's, with 601-603 PowerPC processors.  Some of the
older Performa's, though, were 68k machines.

>From the wording, I'm not sure if Yellow Dog is saying that your 6360

will -work-, or just boot the kernel.

Question: is the Error -39 coming from Linux or the MacOS?  From my
favorite all around Mac reference _Sad Macs, Bombs and other Disasters_,
pg 87,  -39/End of file   Indicates a discrepancy between the actual and
expected size of a file.  Usually means the file is hopelessly
corrupted.

Hope this helps,

...alan