[ale] Okay....

Glenn C. Lasher Jr. glasher at nycap.rr.com
Sat Mar 10 18:45:48 EST 2001

Okay.  I've compiled a new kernel, v2.4.2, and I'm feeling pretty good
about it, but, I want to point out that the last time I compiled a kernel
and actually tried to put it into production, it was back when you
compiled all the drivers into the kernel, so I'm a little shakey on how
modules work, but I want to learn.

I did these steps:

1.  moved old .config file to new tree & ran make oldconfig
2.  make dep;make clean;make bzImage;make modules;make modules_install
3.  make install
4.  tweaked the lilo.conf a bit, ran lilo, rebooted.

Now, this is a RedHat 7.1b (Fisher) installation.  Before this tweak it
(and the preceeding RedHat 6.2 installation) "just knew" to load the
ncr53c8xx driver for the tape drive and CD-ROM.  After this, it doesn't
"just know" to do it, and I have to run modprobe -k ncr53c8xx or modprobe
-k scsi_hostadapter to make it load.  I have been all over the /etc
heirarchy looking for a clue.  Anybody got one?

While I'm on the subject, it would be coolest if the same trick could also
be  used to drag in ppa, so I don't have to modprobe -k ppa every time I
want to use my Zip drive....

Many thanks in advance.

glasher at nycap.rr.com
After 163 days, Verizon still couln't deliver Telocity DSL.