[ale] modem set-up

Sage morrigu_irm at springmail.com
Fri Mar 9 17:50:46 EST 2001

(1) Before installing the modem, login to your machine
and look at /proc/interrupts, and pick an unused interrupt that your
modem can be configured to.

I looked there and it says nothing about IRQ 3 at all, goes from one ,two, skips three, goes to four, skips five, etc., but the BIOS is complaining about an IRQ 3 conflict. If the modem is not in use, will this show up on the interrupts table, or not, do you know?

 If there isn't one you'll have to
disable one of your onboard serial ports in the BIOS, which
is quite easy to do, but don't worry about it yet. Configure
the modem to be non-PnP and to use the interrupt you picked.

(2) Hopefully your modem will let you configure it to any COMn
port, 1 thru 4. (If not we're back to fiddling with the BIOS.)
Set the modem to be COM3 (ttyS2).

(3) Shut everything down, install the modem in the machine,
reboot.

(4) Login as root and run

setserial /dev/ttyS2 irq <IRQ chosen in step 1>

When I did setserial on tty01 (which is set for IRQ 3), I got back parameters for my modem. This is driving me crazy. How can the system recognize a modem on ttyS01, IRQ 3, yet the BIOS is telling me I have a conflict with that IRQ, and as a result, keeps saying that the modem is busy? Ack.

If I go into the BIOS, and disable IRQ3, do you think it may resolve this freaking problem?

-Indira   P.S. No, I haven't tried your solution as of yet. I have to go to class til 7:30. I'll be back to try it then.