[ale] question

Ben Phillips pynk at angband.org
Tue Mar 6 14:43:31 EST 2001

Not that this is likely to be the easiest solution to your problem, but if
you've got a spare phone line, computer, and modem to play with, I wonder
how easy it would be to set up a mock PPP server?

(See, the problem with Spring Break is that it gives students time to think
up weird stuff like this...)

On Tue, 6 Mar 2001, JB Wells wrote:

> If I set the server's IP to the target address, will
> the client try to do a search for that IP on my local
> network first or go straight for the PPP connection?
> It's necessary to start the PPP connection because the
> windows program is bound to it on installation and
> waits to detect the connection before attempting to
> communicate with the server.
>
> thanks for your help
>
> jb
>

> --- Michael Mealling <michael at bailey.dscga.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 06, 2001 at 11:21:44AM -0800, JB Wells
> > wrote:
> > > I'm trying to reverse engineer a windows app that
> > > connects to an IP address on port 7818 when a
> > Dial-up
> > > networking session has been opened.
> > >
> > > Is there any way I can spoof this IP, effectively
> > > tricking the windows program into sending packets
> > to a
> > > server program I've bound to that port on a
> > machine in
> > > my home network?
> >
> > Put them both on their own isolated segment and let
> > your server claim to be
> > that IP address...
> >
> > -MM
> >
> > --

> =====
> --------------------------
> John B. Wells IV
> Application Developer
> Acterna
> 6100 Lake Forrest Drive
> Atlanta, GA  30328
> 404.531.8938

                      __   _                 "I hate to advocate drugs,
Ben Phillips         /  '_' )         ,,,     alcohol, violence or
pynk at angband.org     |  | ()|||||||||[:::)    insanity, but they've
                     \__.-._)         ```     always worked for me."
		                                 -- Hunter S. Thompson