[ale] gpm and X window

James Kinney jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Thu Mar 8 08:57:17 EST 2001

It looks like you have two different problems.

1. If the mouse has a 9 pin trapezoidal plug, it's a serial mouse, not a
PS/2. So gpm needs to be run with:
gpm -t ms   (with middle button extension)  -or-
gpm -t ms+  (allows drag with middle button) -or-
gpm -t msc  (works for most 3 button mice)

Then setup XF86Config to:

Section "Pointer"
   Protocol        "Protocol-from-above"
   Device          "/dev/mouse"
   BaudRate        1200
   Emulate3Timeout 50
EndSection

and /dev/mouse is a link pointing to /dev/ttySx

As for the other frame-buffer problem, you need to create a device
/dev/fb0 with major 29 and minor 0  with mknod

mknod /dev/fb0 u 29 0    should do it. The u might need to be a c instead.