[ale] Kernel v2.4.x and Firewalls

Ryan Bradford Neily rbn at gsu.cs.GaSoU.EDU
Wed Mar 7 11:40:37 EST 2001

On Wed, 7 Mar 2001, Bob Kruger wrote:

I recompiled the 2.4.2 kernel, and in the options enabled module support
for both firewall types (ipchains, and iptables). That way, linux will
load the module correctly depending on which firewall script I run.  I am
trying currently to move my mack daddy ipchains script to iptables...

> I just compiled kernel v2.4.2.  Everything is working fine with the
> exception of the firewall.  IP-Chains is not working.  I am sure that
> there is a new feature or set of features in the kernel that either
> supercedes ipchains or that I have not configured properly.  I have
> looked for some documentation on firewalls and kernel 2.4.x, but no
> success.  For that reason I am back to running v2.2.18.
>
> Anyone using kernel v2.4.x successfully with a firewall and can pass on
> some hints?
>
> Regards - Bob Kruger

Ryan Bradford Neily                              Phone: 770-565-9017
Georgia Southern University
=-> Visit the GSU Computer Science Home Page: http://www.cs.gasou.edu <-=