[ale] question

Michael Mealling michael at bailey.dscga.com
Tue Mar 6 14:32:38 EST 2001

On Tue, Mar 06, 2001 at 11:32:48AM -0800, JB Wells wrote:
> If I set the server's IP to the target address, will
> the client try to do a search for that IP on my local
> network first or go straight for the PPP connection?

It depends on your network mask. My suggestion assumes
you have a spare network card in the machine that's making
the dialup connection. Configure that machine to
have its internal ethernet card to be part of that same
network. Then if the Window's stack you're using is
worth a damn it will send the correct packets out of
the correct interface...

> It's necessary to start the PPP connection because the
> windows program is bound to it on installation and
> waits to detect the connection before attempting to
> communicate with the server.

Should be no problem. Here are the steps:

1) install the ethernet card in the PC and configure
it to think its part of the same network that the target
IP address is.

2) configure your server to think its also part of this same
network and set its IP address to the target address

3) startup your PPP session. The IP stack should look at its
available networks and send these packets to your server
instead of out the dialup connection...

-MM

Michael Mealling	|      Vote Libertarian!       | www.rwhois.net/michael
Sr. Research Engineer   |   www.ga.lp.org/gwinnett     | ICQ#:         14198821