[ale] Creating Filesystem

Chris Fowler ChrisF at computone.com
Tue Mar 6 13:54:40 EST 2001

I'm creating a network appliance that has roughly 20GB of disk space.  At each
system boot, I want to recreate the filesystem on the 20GB of read writable
partition.  The facts are below:

1.  The space is big
2.  It will only store trival logs that are needed
3.  It does not need to be saved at reboot
4.  I do not need supreblocks all over the place.

Questions
1.  Can I use jsut 2 superblocks
2.  Can I create a loopback image, format it, and dd just wat is needed so
    at bootup I can use dd instead of mke2fs?
3.  Can I get this to happen at bootup in under 10 seconds?

Thanks,
Chris