[ale] OT:pgp, linux and ham radionetworking

Brian J. Dowd bdowd at dentfirst.com
Thu Mar 1 10:58:38 EST 2001

Rod Young wrote:

> Hello I am KF4UWL. I am currently setting up a latop with debian to use
> among other things in packet radio.
> We hams have packet BBS's but we are not allowed to use codes and
> ciphers. (Though the average scanner would disagree after hearing our
> jargon.) I think I may have found a way to securely verify a user on ham
> radio and would like to get a rules clarification from the FCC if it
> works.

Have you contacted the ARRL about a way this?

> How about using PGP or a related technology not to encrypt but to digital
> sign the password? Is the singnature dynamic or static? In other words
> could a third party intercept a login and copy it then resend later to
> spoof the system?

Your callsign as well as all transmissions must be in the clear.
Are you considering obfuscating the login? Instead, how about
using a *one*-time password sent in the clear?
It seems that this would be more secure and additionally
not in contravention of the Federal Confusion Commission's rules.

73, Brian, WIDOC