[ale] OT:pgp, linux and ham radionetworking

Rod Young development at combiz.net
Thu Mar 1 10:31:37 EST 2001

Hello I am KF4UWL. I am currently setting up a latop with debian to use
among other things in packet radio.
We hams have packet BBS's but we are not allowed to use codes and
ciphers. (Though the average scanner would disagree after hearing our
jargon.) I think I may have found a way to securely verify a user on ham
radio and would like to get a rules clarification from the FCC if it
works.
How about using PGP or a related technology not to encrypt but to digital
sign the password? Is the singnature dynamic or static? In other words
could a third party intercept a login and copy it then resend later to
spoof the system?