[ale] dual mice under X ?!?!

Timothy Ball timball at tux.org
Fri Jun 29 10:39:27 EDT 2001

On Fri, Jun 29, 2001 at 09:33:51AM -0400, Christopher Bergeron wrote:
> Does anyone have any idea how to implement dual mice under X?  I've got an
> application that requires both a wireless mouse and a touchscreen panel.
> The touchscreen plugs into the serial port and just acts like a mouse.  The
> mouse plugs into the ps2 port and acts like a mouse.
>
> Has anyone ever seen this done before?!? or heard of how it can be done?

Do you need two indiependant mice? As in two cursors? I don't think X
will let you do that. I looked into doing something like this once and
it came out "badly".

But if you just want to control the cursor at one point in time w/ one
mouse then at some other point in time control the cursor w/ the other
mouse X will "just" work. At least it did for me. But it might have been
due to devfs doing smart things...

Guess I didn't help clear anything. But I know at one point I had the
use of two different mice at the same time on X server.

HTH,
--timball="NT server reboot == sucking"

--
	GPG key available on pgpkeys.mit.edu