Commentary on telocity - was Re: [ale] pppoe and telocity DSL

Transam@cavu.com transam at cavu.com
Tue Jun 26 19:45:22 EDT 2001

Chris Fowler wrote:

> I used to have this problem with a cable modem.  I used X10 and a small
> bourne script to recycle the power.

I wish that I had thought of this.  An X10 telephone transponder would be
just the thing!

Recycling power is hard on the hardware, if done frequently.  An alternative
would be their X10 Universal Module for $19.95.  It could be wired across
the reset contacts.  A single command to it will close the relay contacts
for two seconds and release.

Actually, had I thought of this, it would have prevented an annoying problem
that I've been having at a client's.

I think the most recent Linux Journal had an ad for a system board that
allows remote resets too.

Bob Toxen
transam at cavu.com                       [Bob's ALE Bulk email]